WELCOME TO GATEWAY VICTORIA WEST
Victoria West is a town in the Central Karoo region of the Northen Cape Province.
The town was laid out on the bank of the Brakrivier watercourse in 1843, when the Dutch Reformed Chruch bought the farm Zeekoegat from a local farmer.
It was named Victoria in 1844, after Queen Victoria.
1871, a dramatic cloudburst caused a flood that shattered northern cape community of Victoria West, killing 60 residents. The headstones of many of Victoria West's flood victims still stand in the town cemetery.
Another piece of interesting history is that of the second Standard Bank in South Africa that was opened here in 1856.
The main acticity in the region is sheep farming. The town is relatively small. and it is doubtful whether it would ever become a big city of minerals of some sort isnt discovered yet.
Die-hard rugby union fans will remember the legendary spingbok, Mannetjies Roux. He is a Victoria Wester, and owns the Victoria Trading Post and Mannetjies Roux Museum.